Cheesy Potato, Mushroom, Leek and Kalette Pie
2 Small leeks, thinly sliced
1 Onion, thinly sliced
450g Potatoes cut into cubes
175g Mushrooms, quartered
100g Kalettes, roughly sliced.
60g Plain flour
1tbsp Dijon mustard (I added an extra half a tablespoon as I like the kick!)
1tbsp Dried thyme
40g Mature cheddar cheese, grated
40g Parmesan cheese, grated
Salt and Pepper
320g Puff pastry, pre rolled
1. Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat. Add the leeks and onion and fry for a few minutes until they have softened, lower the heat, add the mushrooms and cover - cook for 15 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally
2. Bring a pan of salted water to boil and add the potatoes. Boil for 8-10 minutes until just tender then drain.
3. Gently warm the milk in a separate pan and then remove the lid from the leek, onion and mushroom mix. Turn up the heat and cook off any excess liquid. Sprinkle in the flour, stir and cook for a minute and gradually pour the warm milk, stirring all the time until thickened. Add the sliced kalettes, mustard, thyme, cheese and potato. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Pour the mixture into a pie dish, I used 25 cm x 31cm and let it cool down. Pre-heat the oven to 200 ºC
5. Once the mixture has cooled down lay the pastry over the top and tuck in the ends. Brush the egg mixture over the pastry surface and pop into the oven for around 40 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.