Spicy Ricey Salad
Are you ready for summer? Get the sunshine vibes with my spicy rice(y) salad. Nutrient rich and low in calories, the rice can be swapped for quinoa or buckwheat for a protein rich, carb free alternative.
Serves approx 4
40g unsalted butter
50g dried short vermicelli egg noodles
225g vegetable stock
1 small head of broccoli, cut into small florets
Approx 40g shredded Kale
1 carrot grated
125g finely shredded red cabbage
2 spring onions, finely sliced
Halloumi - grilled
For the dressing
1 tbsp date syrup
1 tbsp pomegranate molases
Juice 1 lemon
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground sumac
1/2 tsp grated root ginger
1/2 tsp Harissa
Salt and pepper
1. Whisk all dressing ingredients in a a bowl and set to one side.
2. Heat the butter in a saucepan with a lid, once its melted add the vermicelli, always stirring until it starts to turn brown . Add the rice and stir everything together until the rice is well coated. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil then lower the heat and cover with the lid for around 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and replace the lid with a clean teal towel for a further 10 minutes so that it absorbs the steam and helps fluff up the rice.
3. In another pan, boil some hot salted water. Add the broccoli florets for a few minutes until al dente, drain and run some cold water over them to stop the cooking process.
4. Slice up some halloumi, about 1 cm thick and grill until the edges start to brown, not forgetting to flip over and cook the other side.
5. Add the rice and all of the vegetables to a large serving bowl and pour in half the dressing. Give it a mix and taste and add more dressing if needed. Lay out the halloumi on top and then sprinkle with Nigella seeds. Your salad is served!